Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Conventional is a good fallback position

Whilst trying to understand what the word conventional means I decided to look at synonyms on Microsoft Word and this is what it gave me: conservative, conformist, straight, square, predictable, unadventurous and usual.

Conventional is a good fallback position because it is what we are use to. This reminds of the saying “if you reach for the moon and miss at least you will fall in the stars” and I guess that conventional is our stars.

Some of us are afraid of trying new things, especially me! When I go to a restaurant nine out of ten times ill order the same item off the menu. Why? Because I am afraid of trying new things, I know I like the meal I order, I know what to expect and I know how much it costs. This is just another example of why conventional is a good fallback position.

Another example of this that relates to my life is me wanting to immigrate and everyone telling me that if it doesn’t work out I can always come back to South Africa, once again South Africa being my conventional fallback position!

But I guess in life we sometimes have to be safe rather than sorry, but, it does not mean that we shouldn’t always aim for the moon or take that big step in life!

No comments:

Post a Comment